Alabama Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Alabama Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division in order to legally drive on AL roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

When you move to Alabama, you must register your vehicle within 30 days. You also need an Alabama title and insurance before you can register your motor vehicle.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To register your out-of-state vehicle that you own or are making payments to own (i.e. you don’t lease it), go to the county licensing office and:

  • Submit your vehicle title.
    • All vehicle owners on the title must be present or a power of attorney must be presented for the owners who are not present.
  • Show your current out-of-state vehicle registration.
  • Show proof of AL Insurance.
  • Complete a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
  • Pay all the applicable fees

If the vehicle you are bringing into the state is leased, you will need to go to the county licensing office. The steps you will need to take to register a leased vehicle will depend on whether you, or the leasing company, holds the title. For information on your specific circumstances please contact you local county leasing office or the Motor Vehicle Division at (334) 242-9000.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Alabama Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division, visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.