Alaska Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles in order to legally drive on AK roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

You can register your vehicle in person, or by mail if you live more than 50 miles from an AK DMV location.   If you do NOT live 50 miles away, you must register in person. You cannot register online or by phone. You’ll will also need to pay a registration fee based on your vehicle type.

As a new resident, you must register and title your vehicle in person at the Alaska DMV office within 10 days of establishing residency or employment in Alaska.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To register and title your vehicle, visit your local Alaska DMV office and:

  • Submit your vehicle title.
    • If there is a lien against the vehicle and the title is being held outside of Alaska, bring a photocopy of the title.
    • The DMV will issue registration only for vehicles with titles held out of state.
  • Complete the Application for Title & Registration (Form 812).
  • Provide a notarized power of attorney if your vehicle is leased, or you’re signing on behalf of the vehicle owner.
  • Have a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection from a DMV-approved inspector.
  • Submit payment for all registration/titling fees and taxes.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the DMV, visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.