Vehicle registration is required for all Arkansas car owners in order to legally drive on AR roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.
The state of Arkansas handles vehicle registrations through the Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV). If you are new to the state or a resident who has just purchased a vehicle, you’ll need to get it registered within 30 days, but before you can register, you must:
- Purchase auto insurance that meets AR minimum coverage requirements.
- Transfer your out-of-state title to an Arkansas title.
Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process
You will transfer your title at the same time as you register your vehicle, and to register your car as a new resident, you must go in person to any Arkansas OMV revenue office and be ready to present:
- Your current vehicle registration certificate from your previous state.
- Your certificate of title, or proof that your car is financed and that your lienholder has your title.
- Proof of AR vehicle insurance.
- A completed Vehicle Registration Application (Form 10-381) (this acts as both vehicle registration application and title application).
- A bill of sale and odometer disclosure statement.
- Proof from your county assessor that your car has been assessed or is listed to be assessed within the current year.
- Proof that you don’t owe any personal property taxes, such as:
- A receipt from your county’s tax office.
- A stamp that reads First Assessment on your assessment papers.
- Proof of a VIN inspection, if required.
- Payment for your car registration fees
To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the AR OMV, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.