Kansas Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Kansas Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division in order to legally drive on KS roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

You must register your vehicle within 90 days of moving to Kansas. However, before applying for a Kansas vehicle registration certificate, you first need to take your vehicle to a motor vehicle inspection station. Exams are conducted by the Kansas Highway Patrol.

The inspection involves verifying your car’s vehicle identification number (VIN), and you must bring the following to the inspection:

  • Your driver’s license.
  • The car’s title.
  • Payment for $20 inspection fee. Contact the inspection station before visiting for payment information. Some accept cash only; others accept cash, checks and credit cards.

Upon completion, you’ll be handed a Motor Vehicle Examination Certificate (Form MVE-1). You’re now ready to apply for a KS vehicle registration certificate.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

Visit your local county tag office with:

  • Proof of car insurance.
  • Your Motor Vehicle Examination Certificate (Form MVE-1).
  • The car’s title.
    • The person named on the title is the only one who can register. If there are two names listed on the title separated by “and/or,” both must be present. If the names are separated by “or,” only one of the persons must be present. If one of the owners cannot be present, the absent owner must provide a Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form TR-41) (original copy only).
    • If the car title has a lien, instruct the lienholder to fax a copy of it to your county treasurer.
  • A completed Title and Registration Manual Application (Form TR-212a).
  • Payment for registration fees and the personal property tax if required.

A Kansas car registration certificate is valid for 1 year, except for new vehicles. New vehicle registrations are valid from the time of purchase to the time of your required registration/renewal, which is based on the first letter of your last name. In these cases, your fee will be prorated.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Kansas Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.