New Hampshire Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the New Hampshire Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in order to legally drive on NH roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

Once you become a resident of New Hampshire, you have 60 days to register your vehicle and obtain a New Hampshire driver’s license. Once you purchase, lease, or rent a place to live in the state, you are considered a resident.

The registration and titling of your vehicle will take place at the same time. The town clerk will take care of the city and state parts of the registration and titling.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To register your vehicle in New Hampshire, visit the town clerk’s office and submit the following:

  • Vehicle title and registration.
    • For leased vehicles, provide the following:
      • The lease agreement.
      • The lienholder’s name and address.
        • You may apply for a temporary license plate, which is valid for 60 days, to use while the town clerk gets the title information from the lienholder.
  • Proof of residency (lease or mortgage agreement, utility bills, etc.). The DMV provides a list of acceptable documents.
  • Odometer disclosure statement.
  • Payment for all applicable fees.
    • The state and city fees will be collected as different transactions, so you will need to make out separate checks, money orders, or credit card payments.

Vehicles in New Hampshire are not required to have an emissions inspection prior to registering. You must get safety and emissions inspection within 10 days of registering the vehicle with the town clerk’s office.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the New Hampshire Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) town clerk’s office, visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.