New Jersey Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) in order to legally drive on NJ roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

If you are moving to New Jersey for at least 6 months, you are required to transfer your vehicle title, register your vehicle, and get a NJ driver’s license. You have 60 days after establishing residency in New Jersey to register your vehicle. Before you register, you must obtain New Jersey liability insurance.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To register your vehicle, go to your local MVC Agency and request an “Initial Packet” that contains all forms you’ll need to title and register your car. Then you will follow the steps below:

  • Present your New Jersey Insurance Identification Card, or the name of the insurance company and policy number.
  • Give proof of Social Security number.
  • Present your New Jersey driver’s license number.
    • If you don’t have a NJ driver’s license, present 6 points of identification (the MVC provides an explanation of identification documents that meet the point total).
  • Provide the vehicle odometer reading.
  • Submit the vehicle title.
  • Submit the appropriate application for titling.
    • If there is a lien on the vehicle, fax the Form CS-54 from your Initial Packet to your lienholder. They will send your title to the MVC, who will then mail you a postcard telling you that they have received your title.
  • Submit the application for registration (Form BA-49).
  • Pay the registration fees (based on the age and weight of your vehicle).

You must then get your vehicle inspected within 14 days registration.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) office, visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.