New Mexico Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) in order to legally drive on NM roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

After establishing residency in New Mexico, you need to register your vehicle with the MVD.

All out-of-state vehicles require a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection (most MVD field offices provide this service, and some require appointments, while others don’t offer inspections at all).

If your MVD office does not offer VIN inspections, take your vehicle to a state-approved VIN Inspection station before beginning the registration application process.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To apply for a New Mexico car registration certificate, visit any MVD field office and present:

  • Your vehicle’s title.
  • A completed Application for Vehicle Title and Registration (Form MVD10002).
  • Proof of New Mexico car insurance.
  • Proof of identity (NM driver’s license, marriage certificate, birth certificate).
  • An Emission Certificate of Inspection (if you reside or primarily work in Bernalillo County).
  • 2 documents proving residency in New Mexico (utility bill, pay stub, bank or credit union statement, mortgage document).
  • Payment for registration fees.

You will have the option of applying for a NM vehicle registration certificate valid for 1 year or 2 years.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office, visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.