Oklahoma Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC) in order to legally drive on OK roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

When you move to Oklahoma, you have 30 days to title and register your vehicle with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC).

BEFORE you apply for a title certificate and registration, you’ll need to get OK car insurance.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

In order to register your vehicle with the OTC, you will need to provide the following:

  • A completed Application for Oklahoma Certificate of Title for a Vehicle (Form 701-6).
  • Proof of ownership, such as:
    • Your out-of-state title, if you’re new to OK.
    • The manufacturer’s certificate of origin for a new vehicle.
    • The current title, transferred to you, for a used vehicle that you’ve bought.
  • Proof of your Oklahoma car insurance.
  • Payment for title and registration fees.
  • Lien documentation IF your vehicle is financed.
  • An odometer disclosure statement IF the vehicle is 9 years old or less.

If your vehicle is used or you’ve brought it from another state, the tag agent will perform a vehicle identification number (VIN) and/or odometer inspection before the OTC issues your title certificate.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC) office, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.