Oregon Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) in order to legally drive on OR roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

New Oregon residents have 30 days to register and title their vehicles from the time they establish residency. A VIN inspection will be required when you visit the DMV office. You qualify as an Oregon resident if you:

  • Rent, lease, or buy an apartment or home in Oregon.
  • Work in Oregon.
  • Stay in Oregon for 6 months or more, even if your permanent home is in another state.
  • Enroll your children in an Oregon school.
  • Declare residency in order to get in-state tuition for any type of school.

You’ll need to fill out a Certification of Oregon Residency or Domicile (Form 735-7182) and provide documents to prove Oregon residency. Any Oregon state tax return document will satisfy requirements. If you do not have tax return documents, you can provide any 2 documents (or more) form the following list:

  • Utility bills.
  • Property tax record.
  • Rental or lease agreement.
  • Any type of receipts or documents showing that you have been in Oregon for 6 months of the year.
  • Current bank/credit union account that has been active for at least 60 days.
  • Receipts of Oregon public assistance.
  • Oregon voter registration card.

Oregon requires you to register and title your vehicle at the same time. If you are buying a vehicle from a car dealership, they can do all the paperwork for you. If you are new to the state, or you are buying a vehicle from a private party, you will need to submit the paperwork yourself.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

Registering a Vehicle with a Lien

If you have a lien on your vehicle, Oregon will not be able to complete your registration until it has an actual title from the financial institution.

You’ll need to:

  • Send the lienholder a Security Interest Holder Letter (Form 735-6603)
    • If your old registration will expire before you get your new registration, you can apply for a 21 day trip permit that will allow you to continue to drive.
Registering a Vehicle without a Lien
  • Complete the Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226). You may either:
  • Submit your ownership documents:
    • Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin for new vehicles.
    • Title for vehicles purchased from a private party or from out of state.
    • Bill of sale, if applicable.
    • Lien release, if applicable.
  • Provide proof of a passed emissions test, if applicable.
    • Vehicles model year 2009 and newer must prove compliance with the low emissions vehicle requirement.
  • Complete a VIN inspection, if applicable, and pay the $7 fee.
  • Submit an odometer disclosure statement on the back of the title or on the application.
  • Pay all title, registration, and license plate fees.

You will receive your license plates and registration as soon as you have completed your application.  If you need help filling out your application paperwork, you can use the Oregon DMV help sheet.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) office, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.