Utah Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in order to legally drive on UT roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

After establishing Utah residency, you have 60 days to register and title your vehicle with the Utah DMV.

To register your vehicle with the UT DMV, visit your closest office location with your vehicle title, driver’s license, proof of insurance, and certificate of inspection, if required. Your registration is based on your vehicle’s year and weight, plus your county of residence.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To register your vehicle with the UT DMV, you will need to provide the following to your local DMV office:

  • A completed Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).
  • Your vehicle title & current registration certificate.
  • A completed Certificate of Inspection (Form TC-661).
    • The vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection can be completed by a DMV employee during registration process.
  • Proof of passing a safety inspection and/or emissions test, if applicable.
  • Payment for registration fees.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.