Wyoming Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) in order to legally drive on WY roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

Wyoming law requires all new WY residents to register their vehicles as soon as they become residents of the state:

  • Work in Wyoming AND own, rent or lease a residence.
  • Purchase or hold a current resident hunting or fishing license.
  • File a homestead tax exemption.
  • File a military tax exemption.
  • Live in Wyoming for 120 days.

Once you satisfy Wyoming residency requirements, you must visit your local county treasurer’s office to register your vehicle.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To complete the registration of your vehicle and transfer the title with the Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) county treasurer’s office, you must provide the following:

  • Vehicle Title
    • A copy of your vehicle title (or the title number) if financed.
  • Current registration from your previous state (if applicable).
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Your vehicle identification number (VIN), if financed.
  • A copy of the dealer invoice, if you purchased the vehicle at a dealership.
  • Your lease agreement (if applicable).
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection (MV-300A).
  • A weight slip, if you are registering a:
    • Pick-up truck.
    • Motor home.
    • Trailer (except pull-behind campers) or a horse trailer with living quarters.
  • Payment for all required county and state fees and taxes.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) county treasurer’s office, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.