Connecticut Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Connecticut DMV in order to legally drive on CT roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

If you are bringing a vehicle to Connecticut from another state, you have 60 days to transfer your previous vehicle registration to the Connecticut DMV.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

Before registering your vehicle, you must have valid auto insurance.  New CT residents will first need to have their vehicle identification number (VIN) verified and emissions tested at an emissions testing center. You may be exempt from emissions testing depending on the type of vehicle you own.

Once this is done, visit your local CT DMV office with:

  • Your out-of-state Certificate of Title and vehicle registration certificate.
  • Your emissions report or VIN verification report.
  • Your current CT insurance identification card.
  • An acceptable form of identification, such as your:
    • Driver’s license.
    • ID card.
    • Military ID card.

NOTE: You must not have any outstanding property tax payments or parking tickets, or have previously had your registration privilege suspended.

In addition, as a new resident in Connecticut, you have 30 days to transfer your out-of-state driver’s license to a Connecticut license.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Connecticut DMV, visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.