Delaware Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in order to legally drive on DE roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

Upon establishing residency, you have 60 days to apply for a DE vehicle registration certificate with the DMV. You must title and register your vehicle in person at your local DMV office.

Before registering, you first need to have the following:

  • Proof of Delaware auto insurance.
    • Your coverage must meet the following minimums:
      • Bodily injury for one person: $15,000.
      • Bodily injury for one or more persons: $30,000.
      • Damage or destruction to property: $10,000.
  • Proof of passing a vehicle inspection.
    • After passing the inspection, a safety technician will hand you a Certificate of Title application (Form MV-212) for you to complete and bring, in person, to your local DE DMV office.

Once you meet these tasks, you’re ready to apply for a Delaware vehicle registration certificate.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To do so, visit your local DMV office with:

  • Proof of car insurance.
  • A completed Certificate of Title application (Form MV-212).
    • This is not available online. An inspection safety technician will give this to you after the inspection.
  • Your out-of-state car title.
  • A Delaware driver’s license.
  • Payment for all registration and titling fees.

You will have the option to register your vehicle for 1 year or 2 years.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.