Idaho Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in order to legally drive on ID roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

If you are a new Idaho resident, you must register your vehicle with the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 90 days of establishing Idaho residency.

NOTE: You must title the car before registering. You can register immediately after titling on the same visit.

You must register in person at any county assessor motor vehicle office, however, before applying for Idaho license plates, you must first have proof of car insurance with a provider licensed to do business in the state. Your coverage must legally meet the following minimums:

  • $25,000 for the injury or death of one person.
  • $50,000 for the injury or death of two or more persons.
  • $15,000 for property damage or destruction.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

Gather your title, proof of identity, car insurance, and payment for your registration fee. You’ll need to have your VIN inspected and submit a certificate of inspection, as well as a registration application. Once you’ve titled the vehicle, you can then apply for a vehicle registration, in which you will need the following:

  • Your current out-of-state vehicle registration.
  • Your driver’s license and Social Security number.
  • Proof of address/residency.
  • Proof of a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection (you may have this completed at the motor vehicle office, if you choose).
  • Payment for registration fees.
    • You’ll be given the choice of registering your vehicle for 1 year or 2 years. If you opt for 2 years, you’ll pay double the annual fee.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.