Vehicle registration must be completed with the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) in order to legally drive on MD roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.
You are required to register your vehicle(s) with the MVA within 60 days of moving to Maryland. You will be titling your vehicle at the same time as registering your vehicle, but before you can register, be aware that you must have a vehicle inspection completed on your car.
Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process
You can register your vehicle in Maryland in person or by mail; the documents required are the same. You’ll need to submit:
- The vehicle title from your previous state.
- A completed Application for Certificate of Title (form VR-005). This form is used for both titling and vehicle registration.
- If your vehicle is leased, your lease agreement and proof of monthly payments.
- A completed Security Interest Filing Statement (form VR-217), if there is more than one lien on your vehicle.
- A Power of Attorney, if anyone other than you is registering your vehicle and signing the titling forms.
- The Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate from a licensed MD inspection station.
- The certificate is only valid for 90 days after it is issued.
- Payment for the Maryland vehicle registration/title fees and any applicable taxes.
If you are registering in person:
- Bring the above documents to your local MVA tag and title service office.
If you are registering by mail:
- Send the above to the MVA’s Out-of-State Unit at:
6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E.
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
Your title will be mailed to you, regardless of whether you apply in person or by mail. If you apply by mail, your registration card, license plates, and stickers will also be mailed along with your title; otherwise, if you went in person to register, they will be issued to you immediately.