Minnesota Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) in order to legally drive on MN roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

If you’re new to Minnesota and your current out-of-state vehicle registration is still valid, you will have 60 days to register your car with the MN Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) once you establish residency.

  • If your out-of-state registration will be expiring soon, you must register your car with the DVS before it does so.
  • If your out-of-state registration has already expired or if you had to surrender your plates after leaving the state, you must register your car BEFORE you drive it in Minnesota.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

Vehicle registration with the MN DVS requires your vehicle’s title, your driver’s license or ID, proof of car insurance, an odometer reading, and payment for your applicable registration fee, so you will need to provide the following:

  • Proof of vehicle ownership (original vehicle title or current registration card if the title is being held by a lien holder).
  • Proof of identification.
  • A completed Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000).
  • The current odometer reading of your vehicle.
  • A copy of your leasing agreement, if applicable.
  • Proof of vehicle insurance.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) office, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.