Mississippi Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with your local Mississippi Department of Revenue (DOR) county’s tax collector’s office in order to legally drive on MS roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

Upon establishing residency, you have 30 days to apply for a MS vehicle registration certificate with the Department of Revenue. Failing to meet this timeframe could result in a $250 fine.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To register your car with the MS DOR, you’ll need to go in person to your local tax collector’s office with your vehicle title, driver’s license, an odometer reading, your VIN, and payment for your registration fee. Certain car owners will then need to have the vehicle inspected after it is registered.

You can transfer a specialty plate and registration from one vehicle to another, but standard plates cannot be transferred.

To register, visit your county’s tax collector’s office with:

  • State-issued photo identification.
  • Your car’s title. If there’s a lien, provide the name and address of lien holder.
  • Your current out-of-state registration.
  • An odometer reading.
  • Payment to cover MS vehicle registration fees.

Unlike most states, proof of car insurance is not required when applying for MS car registration.

You will also complete a Title/Registration Application while registering. This form is only available from the tax collector’s office; it cannot be downloaded.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the local county’s tax collector’s office, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.