Missouri Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) in order to legally drive on MO roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

New Missouri residents need to register and title their vehicles with the DOR within 30 days of establishing residency in the state. You also need to get a statement of non-assessment showing that you do not owe taxes. This statement is available at any county collector’s office, or the city collector’s office if you are in St. Louis.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To get your vehicle registered with the MO DOR, go in person to your local licensing office with your title/proof of ownership, an odometer disclosure statement, an inspection certificate (if applicable), and payment for your registration fee.

If your vehicle is leased, or you’re a new Missouri resident, you’ll need to bring additional paperwork. You can download your application form to fill out beforehand, or you can obtain one at the licensing office.

To complete the registration and titling of your vehicle in MO, go to your local licensing office and present the following:

  • Ownership documents for the vehicle (e.g. the title or previous state registration).
    • If you still owe money on the vehicle and a lienholder has the title, you will need to contact the lienholder to get the title so you can complete the registration process.
    • Call (573) 526-3669 if you cannot obtain the out-of-state title or registration.
  • Signed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form DOR-108).
  • Current insurance identification card.
  • Statement of non-assessment from the county collector’s office (city collector in St. Louis).
  • Missouri safety and/or inspection documents, if required (can not be more than 60 days old).
  • Submit your vehicle identification number (VIN) and odometer inspection.
  • Pay all registration, title, tax, and processing fees.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at your local Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) office, visit www.transfermyauto.com, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.