North Dakota Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) in order to legally drive on ND roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

Non-residents who work in North Dakota are required to carry temporary registration from the NDDOT along with a current valid registration from their home state.

Temporary vehicle registrations are issued for 6 months or 12 months only, and you can apply for a temporary registration in person or online.

To get your temporary registration in person:
  • Go to your local North Dakota DMV office.
  • Submit all vehicle and personal information required, including:
    • Your current out-of-state vehicle registration.
    • Your vehicle title (if required).
    • Proof of identification.
  • Pay all applicable fees.
To fully register your vehicle with NDDOT:
  • Submit a completed Application for Certificate of Title & Registration of a Vehicle (SFN 2872).
  • Provide proof of legal name, such as a:
    • Valid driver’s license.
    • Non-driver ID card.
    • Document that confirms your true legal identity.
  • Submit your properly assigned vehicle title and the 5% excise tax.
    • If you do not have the title due to financing, you must provide the:
      • Name and address of the lienholder.
      • Loan account number.
      • Out-of-state vehicle registration.
      • Proof the payment or remittance of the 5% excise tax.
    • Brand new vehicles will need, if applicable:
      • A certificate of origin from the dealer.
      • An odometer disclosure statement signed by the dealer and the buyer (required for vehicles less than 10 years old or weighing over 16,000 lbs.)
  • Submit payment for all applicable title, registration, taxes (including the 5% excise tax), and license plate fees.


  1. If your vehicle is currently titled in Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon, or Canada, you will be charged an excise tax based on the current value of the vehicle.
  2. You must carry auto insurance provided by a North Dakota licensed insurance company to legally operate on ND roadways.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) office, visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.