Vermont Car Title Transfer and Registration

Vehicle registration must be completed with the Vermont’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in order to legally drive on VT roadways. So what do you need to take with you to complete your transaction the first time? It depends on how you own your automobile (leasing, making payments, or owner with title) and how you want to register (single, joint, business or transfer to family member) your automobile.

After establishing Vermont residency, you must register your vehicle with Vermont’s Department of Motor Vehicles within 60 days.

Vehicle Registration & Title Transfer Process

To apply for a Vermont car registration certificate, visit your local DMV office with:

  • A completed Registration/Tax/Title Application (Form VD-119).
  • A signature on the application certifying you have car insurance. It must meet the state’s minimum coverage levels:
    • $25,000 for injury to one person.
    • $50,000 for injury to two or more.
    • $10,000 for damages to property.
  • A current odometer reading.
  • Vehicle title.
    • If the title is being held by a lienholder, you must appear at a full-time Vermont DMV location with the name and address of the lien company and the vehicle’s current out-of-state registration certificate.
  • Proof of the amount of tax paid on the vehicle.
    • Exempt if you’ve owned the vehicle for 3 years or more.
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification.
    • Completed by a designated DMV agent or by a VT law enforcement officer.
  • Payment for all Vermont car registration fees.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You will have 15 days from the date you first register your vehicle in Vermont to have it inspected. Please see our “Vehicle Inspections” section below for details.

To be sure you have everything you need before getting in line at the Vermont’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office, visit, answer 3 to 5 questions to generate a checklist of what is needed. Military personnel often get tax breaks in many states, your checklist will indicate if this is the case.